The University Library was officially established in September 1945, a fortnight after the establishment of NCU. Apart from 1000,000 books and almost 500,000 periodicals and regular publications, the Library has some 500,000 special items including 48,000 old prints (213 incunabulas) and 4,100 manuscripts. It also has valuable collections of drawings, charts, musical scores and other documents of social life. The total number of items amounts to over 2.5 million and places the University Library in Toruń amongst the largest in Poland.
The collection of old books contains many scientific and literary works, including a collection of all the editions of the works of University's patron Nicolaus Copernicus. Among others it has the first and third edition of De revolutionibus orbium coelestium.
In 1998 the Centre for European Documentation was established.
In recent years, the Library underwent comprehensive computerisation which provided free access to a large part of its collection. The Library has card as well as electronic catalogues, which similar to CD-ROM databases, are accessible through the computer network to all the academic community. Part of the collection is also available on open access shelving. The Library is located at ul. Gagarina 13, tel. (+48 56) 611 44 08, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Centre of the Polish Committee for Co-operation with the Alliance Française was established at NCU in 1988. It provides courses in French at all the levels for children, young people, and adults. Participants in the courses have access to teaching materials - handbooks, audio and videocassettes, French press as well as a library containing 4,500 scientific and literary works. The AFC, apart from education and research, also organises cultural events (concerts, events, and exhibitions) promoting French culture, often in co-operation with other cultural and educational organisations operating in Toruń. The Centre is located at ul. Kopernika 20, tel. (+48 56) 622 04 41, e-mail: email@example.com .
The University Bookshop was established in 1995 to meet the needs of the research workers and students of NCU. It offers scientific books in the disciplines studied at NCU, academic and linguistic handbooks, textbooks, computer manuals, and a wide range of books published by other universities. It is also possible to order there practically any academic book that is available on the Polish or world book markets. Orders may be also placed through the Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org The NCU Bookshop is located at ul. Reja 25, tel./fax (+48 56) 611 42 98.