The Year of Nicolaus Copernicus - World Copernican Congress
Solidarity with Ukraine

Health & Insurance


Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the whole duration of their stay in Poland. It is important to remember that each student coming to the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń for short-term studies will be asked to show a proof of health insurance upon arrival.

International students and academics are strongly advised to purchase third party liability insurance and accident insurance in their home countries.

Are you the EU citizen?

EU citizens are eligible for free health services in Poland providing that they present a valid European Health Insurance Card.

EU citizens without health insurance in their countries of residence and non-EU citizens can sign a health insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) or with one of the private clinics.

Are you a non-EU citizen?

You can sign the insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and pay monthly contribution to the NFZ.

Do you have the Pole’s CARD (Karta Polaka) or Polish descent confirmed by a Consulate?

If yes, you are entitled to be insured by the University on the Polish Government cost.

In order to be insured, you have to sign a contract with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and submit a copy of the contract to the Welfare Section of the Office for Student Affairs along with:

  • the application form (printed, filled in and signed),
  • a copy of the Pole’s Card or certificate of the Polish origin,
  • confirmation of student status (issued by the students office of the faculty)

If you are a non-EU citizen who have neither the Pole’s Card nor a Polish descent,

you are also obliged to have an insurance during the whole duration of your stay in Poland. Otherwise you will be obliged to pay for all health services on your own.

How can I get NFZ insurance?

  • Step 1. Get a proof of residence (in Polish: ZAMELDOWANIE)
  • a) Fill in the form from your dormitory (you can find it in the administration office of your dormitory). If you are renting a flat you just need the rental agreement and your passport and/or resident card.
  • b) Go to the city hall (Shopping Center Toruń Plaza - Address: Broniewskiego 90, 87-100 Toruń) with the documents from 1.a., your passport and/or Residence Permit card. At the City hall you have to complete application:

– The form to get your resident confirmation and PESEL number

  • Step 2. Documents which you need:

– your passport with a current visa or residence permit

– the documents from the step 1.

– the confirmation of the student status (issued by the student office of your faculty)

The form can be printed and delivered in person, or sent by post to the branch or the Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) inspectorate in the competent district. The cost of the insurance of international students who are not citizens of EU is around 11 EUR ( 55,80 PLN).