Welcome to Poland, welcome AMONG US II!
As part of the new edition (1.06.2023-31.05.2025) we will continue the meetings, during which you will learn more about Poland, Torun and studying at NCU, there will also be some interesting facts from the world. We will help you find your way in the new reality. You can read about what we have prepared for you below. Look for news here and on Facebook ;-)
1. Welcome CAFE
is an international academic club, where we have planned weekly meetings dedicated to integration and cultural events for the international academic community of UMK. Our goal is to foster attitudes of openness and tolerance both within the University and the immediate social environment. Your presence here will certainly influence your knowledge of living and studying in Poland and the world. It will be coffee, and with you interesting and pleasant ⏰ 🍰 ☕ ❤️ 🎯
DATES: every Wednesday 6.30 p.m. - 8.30 p.m.
PLACE: Collegium Maius, Fosa Staromiejska 3 Room 17
2. Active Academic Summer - AAS
that is, the summer complement of "Welcome CAFE" - integration and cultural events with emphasis on the participation of foreign students and employees in the life of the city and region. The activity is planned for the holiday period and is mainly aimed at those who do not return to their home countries (homes) and remain at the university. Ahead of AAS 2023 and 2024, the planned activities include library workshops, culinary workshops - "Cucumber Season in Torun", museum workshops - presentation of national heritage, theatrical workshops - integrative and daredevil activity, film meetings and an excursion outside the city - presentation of the region and Polish realities.
DATES: July-September 2023 and 2024
3. Meetings with culture
and among them cinema, dance and holiday traditions.
- X Muza - monthly film meetings presenting both Polish and foreign films featuring Polish filmmakers, artists or related to Poland, supporting the level of awareness of the international community and its social environment about Polish and international culture and history. You can count on an introduction, a film screening and a discussion to encourage you to learn about Polish through cinematography.
- With a dance step into culture - monthly dance workshops - integrative and health-promoting activities, an opportunity for active recreation and openness to new challenges, as well as gaining/expanding knowledge of Polish dances.
- International Celebrations - at the festive table - introducing Christmas, Carnival and Easter traditions and rituals in Poland and around the world, as well as introducing distant cultures and customs, such as Chinese New Year. The meetings will combine the presentation of customs with direct participation in traditions, e.g. singing carols together, gingerbread workshops, decorating Easter eggs, making Easter palms, setting the table, savoir-vivre at the table, Chinese cut-outs, etc.
DATES and PLACES: as announced
4. We are team!
Sports activities in the university hall and cheering together in the city of black sports. We focus on excitement and competition.
DATES: Saturdays from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm (November 2023 - 18, 25; December 2023 - 2, 9, 16; January 2024 - 13, 20, 27)
PLACE: University Sports Center, Uniwersyteckie Centrum Sportowe, ul. Św. Józefa 19
5. Maius Language Exchange Meetings - MLEM
is an opportunity to create language tandems during international chats, to which we invite people from abroad and Polish students and employees. MLEM is an opportunity to exchange cultural and linguistic experiences. Meetings will be held periodically as an extended form of Welcome CAFE, i.e. with coffee, cakes and in a relaxed atmosphere. Thematic weeks are planned (e.g. English, Spanish, German, Ukrainian and, of course, Polish).
DATES: November 15, 2023; December 13, 2023 and January, March, April, May in 2024.
PLACE: Center for Student Activities "Kotłownia" Ośrodek Aktywności Studenckiej "Kotłownia" (fb), ul. Słowackiego 5/7
A C T U A L L I T Y:
The project "Welcome to Poland, welcome AMONG US II" is funded by the National Agency for Academic Exchange under the Welcome to Poland Program (2022).
AND IT HAS ALREADY BEEN:
The first edition of "Welcome to Poland, welcome AMONG US" from 1.05.2022-30.04.2023 included activities:
1. Welcome CAFE
is an international academic club in which we have planned cyclical meetings devoted to integration and cultural events for the international academic community of UMK. Shaping attitudes of openness and tolerance both within the University and in the immediate social environment, being here will certainly influence the knowledge of living and studying in Poland.
As part of the "Welcome CAFE" we have planned for you:
- Welcome Among Us - meetings for people from abroad and Polish students and staff, during which language tandems will be formed. Maius Language Exchange Meetings will provide an opportunity to exchange cultural and linguistic experiences;
- X Muza - monthly film meetings presenting both Polish and foreign films;
- International Celebrations - introducing Christmas, New Year, Carnival and Easter traditions and rituals in Poland and around the world;
- "Moje Kujawsko-Pomorskie" - a subjective e-guide to the Kuyavian-Pomeranian region;
- Dancing our way into culture - acting in an integrative and health-oriented way, we will encourage you with dance to be active and open to new challenges;
- We are team! - sports activities in the university hall and at the gym.
TIMES: every Wednesday 6.30 p.m. - 8.30 p.m.
PLACE: Collegium Maius, Fosa Staromiejska 3 Room 218
2. Welcome Center
stationary on Mondays and Wednesdays from morning until dusk, and during adaptation days (in autumn for the winter term and in spring for the summer term) every day at the appointed times. The Centre's reach is strengthened by a profile on social media, and you can count on an exchange of information via instant messenger every day.
International and Polish students are welcome to use the point and the profiles. Ms Kasia will help you with everything!
We are planning themed weeks, centred around the places from which international visitors and Polish students come. This will be a good opportunity to integrate, to support each other in difficult situations, e.g. by communicating in national languages, but also to promote interculturalism and tolerance. You can count on a place that is inclusive, open, vibrant with academic life - with a personalised approach to its visitors, i.e. people who - in line with the project's slogan - "Welcome to Poland, welcome among us".
TIMES: Mondays and Wednesdays 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., during the adaptation week (1-8 March 2023) daily 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
PLACE: Collegium Maius, Fosa Staromiejska 3 Room 218
- starters - they will make the adaptation process easier and will help you master issues such as transport, rights and duties in PL, shopping, registering for classes at the university, dorm regulations, communication with the university, medical care, health and safety training and others.
These issues certainly do not exhaust the list of problems, write to us if you need any hints on how to find your way in PL.
4. Training support for teaching, scientific and administrative staff
or simple Polish and English for everyone, it's going to be fun!
- English for administration and service: 13 groups x 30 h classes from October 2022 to March 2023
- English for academic staff: 3 groups x 60 h classes from October 2022 to April 2023
- simple Polish language: 3 six-hour meetings in Collegium Maius room 307 on the dates: 20 January 10.00 a.m. - 2.30 p.m., 17 March 10.00 a.m. - 2.30 p.m., 30 March 1.00 p.m. - 5.30 p.m., enrolment at email@example.com. We have places available!
E V A L U A T I O N
Please complete the satisfaction survey.