Institution: Faculty of Physics, Astronomy and Informatics
Position: Research Associate / Adjunct
The Field of Physical Sciences - Astronomy,
Keywords: astronomy, astrophysics, stars, extrasolar planetary systems, interstellar medium
Description (field, expectations, comments):
The competition is open to persons who meet the conditions set out in Article 113 of the Act of 20 July 2018 - Law on higher education and science (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668) and the following qualification criteria:
• A PhD in physics or astronomy, and good knowledge of written and spoken English.
• Significant international experience in astronomy and astrophysics research.
• Specialisation in stellar astrophysics and/or exoplanets and/or the interstellar medium.
• The ability to lecture in English.
• Readiness to teach in software or technical engineering courses.
The Centre for Astronomy (CA) of the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (Poland) welcomes applications from world-class researchers for two adjunct (research associate) tenure track faculty positions.
The priority areas are exoplanets, stellar astronomy and the interstellar medium. However, we emphasize that the positions are open to researchers in other fields of astronomy and astrophysics. We welcome applications from both theorists and observers.
These research positions include teaching responsibilities. It is expected that the two new faculty members will contribute to the strategic goals of CA through excellence in research, teaching, and other professional activities. They will be vigorous drivers of CA research programs, will win grants, supervise graduate students and teach undergraduates.
The Centre for Astronomy, located in Piwnice near Toruń, is a part of the Faculty of Physics, Astronomy and Informatics. It is one of the leading Polish astronomical institutions. The main instrument of CA is a 32-metre radio telescope, a unique structure of this kind in Central-Eastern Europe. We also own several smaller optical telescopes and host our own in-house computer cluster. The prospects for additional research funding are high for strongly motivated young researchers in Poland.
We offer a tenure-track type contract. The salary of the successful candidate will be comparable to that of Polish researchers in the same career stage. Additional benefits are negotiable.
- Cover letter
- Personal questionnaire for the person applying for employment (download here)
- Professional curriculum vitae
- Copy of higher education diploma
- Copy of doctorate certificate
- Information about scientific, didactic and organizational achievements (abstract comprising candidate's most important areas of research, and scientific, educational, and other achievements)
- List of publications (including the publishing house/journal, year of publication, and page number)
- Declaration of consent to the processing of personal data contained in the job offer for the needs of the recruitment process, in accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of The Council od 27 April 2016 (L119/1) (download here)
- Research plan
- At least two (max three) reference letter(s).
Additional information: Please submit the aforementioned documents to the e-mail address: dyrekcja.ca [at] umk.pl. The formal deadline of this application is 15 April 2019. Applications after the deadline will be considered if the position is not yet filled. Successful candidates are expected to start the position between 1 June 2019 and 1 September 2019. The application should be addressed to Professor Andrzej Tretyn, Rector of the Nicolaus Copernicus University. After a preliminary selection, a shortlist of candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria will be invited for an interview, in person or online. The application should refer to WFAiIS-2/CA/2019.